Friday, May 14, 2010

Do you let your rabbit free roam around the house like a cat and a dog?

I am getting a rabbit, and dont really want to cage it. After I train it, can I jsut leave it around the house hopping around?Do you let your rabbit free roam around the house like a cat and a dog?
I have three house bunnies.


one has free roam of the kichen only, but that is because he has not been fixed and when I recieved him the vet said he was to old to put hin under the stress. He is turning 10 this year.


My two little ones Princess and Marshmallow have free roam of the house with the exception of the kitchen. They have litterboxes set out and for the most part they use them....


Not saying we never find marbles on the floor........


I give them plenty of things to chew on and hid all the cords seeing this seems to be the favorite item to chew on.......


The two of them seem to be quite happy and healthy.......


They do have hutches in the living room where they can go to hide or sleep when thy want but the cats kitty condo seems to be their fav sleeping spot.Do you let your rabbit free roam around the house like a cat and a dog?
I gave my bunny free roam of my kitchen, laundry room (where his hutch was), living room and family room, all of which I bunny-proofed.





It's OK to restrict a house rabbit to just a few rooms. As long as you make sure there is nothing poisonous or dangerous they can get into, electric cords they can chew, or tight spaces they can't get out of. Just make sure you provide a litter box for it, and be prepared to clean up after it sometimes.
I have never had a rabbit inside but i do know that you can litter train them so i can't see why not.





I know of someone who had a rabbit outside that had free run of the garden. She had a hutch that she would go in her self for her food, water and for sleep times. The garden was fully fenced though...but she used to eat their flowers!! LOL





Good Luck!
Yes but you have to rabbit proof the room first. Rabbits love to chew on cords and wire. But first you should litter train your rabbit so that you wont have a messy floor. plats need to be out of reach. Rabbits can jump onto furniture. for more details checkout the the book ';The Simple Guide to Rabbits'; it gives the full list of plants poisonous to rabbits.
I have a pet rabbit that sleeps on my bed. I feed it in the laundry and have a cat litter tray for it. I trained it in the laundry at first to go to the cat litter and then gradually let it into the rest of the house. It goes to the cat litter just like a cat. Jumps up on the bed to cuddle up for the night. I wouldn't be able to cage my rabbit. Just watch out if it wants to sneak outside or if someone leaves the door open. Also watch out if you have any cats or dogs that come into your house.
When we are home to supervise our bunnies, they are let out. Ours live in a good sized rabbit proofed room and many have their bunnies living in a dog exercise pen - much more room than a cage. Personally I feel they are safer and our house is safer with them in their room when we're not home to supervise. since they sleep most of the day and night, and they seem to like their room, we think it's a good solution. Ours are well litter box trained and always go ';home'; to use their box.





Whether they are free roam or only out when you're home here are some tips on rabbit proofing:


http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/r鈥?/a>
I have had 'house rabbits' before. You must know they chew EVERYTHING 9including your bedsheets, we learned). Also, while mine always peed in their box, I could never train them to poo in it. Your best bet might be to have a cage and let them out only when you can supervise for their safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment