Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Would a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit be a good first car?

I'm looking to buy my first car and the 2 door VW Rabbit has caught my attention. Would this be a good desicion? It has a lot of power for such a small car, fairly decent gas mileage, and looks like it would be easy to drive. What I don't really know is how well made they are, how reliable, and how costly is maintanence/repairs.Would a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit be a good first car?
I just got a 2008 Rabbit 2 door a few weeks ago actually. It's my first brand-new car too (I'm leasing it). So far I really like it and have put almost 1000 miles on it. I got the 5-speed manual and the sport package (with larger 17'; wheels) and it's pretty fun to drive. Everything in the car feels really high quality. The doors have a nice thud when you close them, not that crappy tin feel that some Toyotas and Hondas have. It also has a lot of standard features. I really don't have any complaints, except that the 2 door isn't available with a sunroof. My last car was a 1997 BMW 740i so I'm used to being somewhat pampered lol.


Having said that, my BMW had a pretty big V8 in it with lots of torque and the Rabbit honestly doesn't feel like it's any slower (except less passing power is noticeable). The 5-cylinder also sounds really cool at high RPMs. Since it's so little and has a 4-wheel independent suspention, it feels sporty in corners but doesn't lack in ride quality. I'd say its the best car in that price range.


As far as maintenance and repairs go, my very first car was a '98 Jetta. I beat the crap out of that thing and it still ran pretty well. The maintenance costs aren't as expensive as everyone says they are. Plus, since it's new, it's under warranty for awhile.Would a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit be a good first car?
VW has supposedly improved since the previous generation. But don't expect Honda reliability. You might even be disappointed if you expect Ford or Chevy reliability.





Also, a cheap used car is a better idea for a new driver. You're more likely to crash this car than any car save your LAST car. Best to minimize the potential loss.
what you have to do is look at The millage VW Chevy ford dodge saturn will never reach many miles as HONDA and not even functionality.


VW has too many sensors that often ****** up
VWs are traditionally really reliable, and by the time it starts to break down, there are plenty of aftermarket parts making repairs less expensive.
Yes, and as a new car under warranty you shouldn't have to worry about repair costs.





However the best first car is a Ford Crown Victoria. It's the best car to 'cut your teeth' on because it's large, so you'll learn how to handle a car well in tight spaces, it's rear wheel drive, so you'll learn how to properly handle a car in various road conditions, it has an efficient and powerful V8, you'll learn that you can avoid alot of accidents by nailing the gas to get out of the way rather than hitting the brake and becoming road meat, etc. etc., and used ones are cheap and very reliable.





Besides you really don't want an expensive new car for your first car since chances are you'll wreck it.








Umm... VWs don't have any more sensors than Hondas, and gas mileage of cars all in the same class, small cars are very similar whether Honda, VW or Chevrolet. And functionality??? You mean bringing you from point A to point B? wow...
i wanted a rabbit. it would be a fun car to fix up. my friend has a white one with nice wheels, blacked out taillights n windows. it cool.
hi mate





i think something like a mk 4 golf gt tdi 110 would be great for you.as i have one my myself and they are a great motor the performance is good,insurance is low they are just a great all round car and they hold ther vaue well.as its your first car it will give you a good feel of a vw golf without having to spend mega bucks





give's you another option mate





happy motoring
Heck Ya! I have a VW Passat and it's the BEST! It's nice, safe, fast and drives like a BMW! GET A VW (Volkswagen) and you will be VERY PLEASED
I think that is a good first car. I'm also looking at first cars and i was looking at VW's for a while. I think maintences are a little pricy depeding on what it is but VW's have good records of being reliable. It does have nice power and fairly good EPA estimates. Good Luck and Safe driving.
Reduce your carbon footprint and get a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment