Friday, May 14, 2010

I found a wild rabbit should I keep it or turn it lose?

My dog had the baby rabbit in it's mouth. It does not seem to be hurt but I do not know if I should put it back in the field, I'm not sure where it came from exactly and would it be better to wait until it was a little older before we turned it lose?I found a wild rabbit should I keep it or turn it lose?
baby bunnies do NOT handle hand-raising or being cared for by humans very well, and more often than not, they die even when you know exactly what it takes to raise one.





in other words, please put it back outside. if you don't know where it came from, then put it in some tall grass or edge of property. most likely, anything you do to try to help it will have the opposite effect and harm it instead. waiting until it's older may be too late for it to make it - it will not survive your caring for it. and if it's not old enough to care for itself just yet, it's momma will find it - she has an excellent nose for his scent and will do so fairly quickly once the coast is clear (it may take her several hours since she primarily comes back to feed them at night, so just keep an eye on it to make sure no other animal goes to mess with it). only if it is still there after 24-36 hrs should you think about intervening, and only then to contact a rehabber thru your state DNR to take it in.





it is a myth that its mom will turn it away if it smells like humans, so never fear about that either. her baby's scent will override yours and she will take it back.I found a wild rabbit should I keep it or turn it lose?
Baby rabbits can usually care for themselves even when they are very small. As long as it has it's eyes open put it back - if it doesn't or you don't feel good about turning it loose, you are better off taking it to a wildlife rehabilitater in your area as it is very difficult to hand raise a baby rabbit. Stress and under or over feeding are the most common causes of death.
You need to let it go. I tried to ';save'; baby bunnies in my yard last year, but the local vets will not see them and wildlife authorities won't help them and told me to set them loose in the nearest open field with some brush.





They are too wild and nervous, and cannot be tamed. They could also carry diseases that could be transmitted to family pets. I was very sad, and nature is cruel sometimes, so I did as I was instructed and let them go. Sometimes I wonder what became of them.
If you don't know where it came from, then I would keep it till it was older, so that it will be able to feed and protect itself. Meanwhile I would try to follow my dog around for the 2-3 days or so to see where maybe he/she goes and see if you can find a burrow. After a 2-3 even if you find the burrow, the mother probally will not accept it.





However, chances are you should make room for a new family member for a hile.
Since the bunny is a stray you should get it to the vet ASAP for shots and medication or just a reg. examiniation for the rabbit; but other than that if you have space, time and comitment to the bunny then... you can keep the bunny, or place it at an animal shelter.
If you know were your dog got it from, let it go back there, if you know for a FACT that the mother is dead, or you don't know where it came from, then take it to a Wildlife Center.
run it loose keeping it from its natural habitat is harsh when i was a child i found a hedgehog i kept it for 1 hour it died i feell bad still
It is probally best if u turn it lose right know because if u keep it and let it go when its older it will not know how to survive on its on when u let it go.
Take it to your local wildlife rescue, they will know how and when to release it, also how to examine it for injuries.
if its a baby you should keep it because if you let it go when its older if u let it free it wont know what to do and would saldly die
Rabbit stew is very delicious.
I agree to the post above but I think you shoudl raise it for a little. when its mature enough release it.
sell it to some one who can take care of it

No comments:

Post a Comment