Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can my pet rabbit have mollasses and oatmeal?

I made treats for my horse with water, oatmeal and molasses can my pet rabbit have this without getting sick?Can my pet rabbit have mollasses and oatmeal?
The oats are fine as a treat but the molasses will give your rabbit diarrhea.


The other poster was wrong about rabbits eating grains. I have beed breeding rabbits for 16 years, my rabbits get a supplement that has oats, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. The rabbits love it and it gives them a rich shiny coat.


Rabbits cannot digest sugars, so molasses and fruits (they contain fructose which is a sugar) are not good for them. Too many rabbit rescuse groups call for rabbits to have fruits and vegetables which does nothing but upset the digestive tract of the rabbit. Stick with a good quality rabbit pellet, hay and a supplement like the one I use and you will have a happy healthy rabbit.Can my pet rabbit have mollasses and oatmeal?
Please don't. Rabbits' systems are designed to digest forages, not grains and sugars, and giving a rabbit molasses and oatmeal can upset their stomachs. If you want to treat your bunny, try a small piece of fruit. This article discusses why rabbits can get sick when fed grains and sugars: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-3/digest鈥?/a> And here's an article on treat foods for rabbits: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/treat鈥?/a>
Why not. Give it a small portionm in case it gets an upset tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment