Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Will my cage be okay for a dwarf rabbit?

I've been thinking about getting a dwarf rabbit. I've been reading several books about having an indoor rabbit as a pet. Two of the books specifically said to get a wire cage that has a door that opens on the side. That way, the rabbit won't be forced to come out. Just open the door and the rabbit will come out when ready.





I already have a cage. I used it for my guinea pig who passed away. It's all cleaned and sanatized and ready to use. My cage is wire with a plastic bottom. It doesn't have a door on the side. The whole top of the cage is one big door and lifts. So, whenever I let the rabbit out of the cage, I will have to pick it up to let it out. Will the rabbit be okay with that? Should I get a cage with a door that opens on the side? I don't really want to buy a new cage since I already have one.Will my cage be okay for a dwarf rabbit?
I am an expert in raising breeding and caring for rabbits. If you are keeping your pet indoors, it doesn't really matter much about the door on the side. It will increase the animals confidence, but rabbits are generally well behaved and more tamed if they are handled quite alot. They need to get used to it, because when they get nervous, they scratch with their claws, and they will bite if they feel threatened. When you first handle them I suggest longth sleeves. :D The door on the outside is a good idea... but not neccessary. Letting them spend some time in an upside down cardboard box with a door on the side will do the same.Will my cage be okay for a dwarf rabbit?
A lot probably depends on the personality/temperament of the rabbit that you end up with. I have a rabbit that does fine from an open-from-the-top cage, but some are more shy than mine. If you want to use the same cage, I'd spend a little more time in the choosing of the rabbit, to make sure that it's one that seems rather ';outgoing';, not extremely shy.
you should get a cage with a side door.
That cage will work fine. Just be aware that the rabbit will be sitting in it's droppings and you will have to clean it more often than a wire cage that allows waste to drop through.

No comments:

Post a Comment