Friday, January 22, 2010

How old must you be to be a Rabbit Breeder?

I am 14 years old and I need to earn mony for flight school so I can be an airplane pilot. I also really love Rabbits and other small animals.How old must you be to be a Rabbit Breeder?
Responsible rabbit breeders barely make enough money to cover expenses, you definitely won't earn enough for flight school! Maybe enough to pay for the food, and it's a lot of work..


I raised show Hollands and probably started when I was about 14. I raised several Best of Breed winners at the local and state level. Even so, I earned enough to just pay for food and replacement supplies.. You always need something new, either wire needs to be replaced, bowls get broken, water lines break, a rabbit gets sick.. You should raise animals ONLY to improve a breed and because you really want to provide a quality pet that people can enjoy, show if desired and so on..





You'd be much better off getting certified to babysit. Working parents need babysitters and if you do a good job, you'll get references to more people to work for. You may be able to find a part time job cleaning or mowing lawns. Either of those will be a LOT more profitable then raising pets. How old must you be to be a Rabbit Breeder?
The person above me is very irritating.





Fork your yap please.





But back on your question, yeah you probably are too young, but don't worry, if you love animals there's other things you can do, but i'm afraid you won't get a paying job until 16, 15 if you're lucky.











But, there's still hope, what I would do is volunteer at a nearby veterinary hospital or SPCA. Because if you volunteer, it'll look great on your resume, which will increase your chances of getting a job when you're 16. Volunteering is a great way to open doors =)





Hope I helped. Good luck with your flight school! =D


*EDIT* Sorry I meant the person below me, not above me=P Sorry!


*UN-EDIT* Ok ignore that last edit, I meant the person at the very top. Not directly above me=)
Rabbits are a fun hobby, but there is no money made in it unless you are a big commercial breeder, which I doubt you will be getting into. Last year I made $470 but the food costs where $550 so I ended up losing $80 just with the food costs. This doesn't include ll the bunnies we bought, cages, extras, travel costs to shows. Depending on where you are rabbits can be hard to sell. We still have two bunnies from 3 months ago that we haven't sold and at the last show we attended we had to end up giving a bunny away because we weren't able to sell him for 4 months!





Lastly to answer your question you aren't to young to raise rabbits. I started in the rabbit hobby when I was in the second grade where i owned to lops. I am now 18 and own 40+ rabbits. But my mom had a lot to say in this she raised rabbits when she was in highschool nad got me hooked when I was in second grade.
I bred rabbits at your age...but there's not much money in it really. The cost of cages, food, bedding, etc. makes it not very profitable. It was just a hobby I had for awhile.





Try making money by delivering newspapers, mowing lawns, shovelling snow, walking dogs and other odd jobs. Maybe you can even get a job in a fast food restaurant or something but you might have to be a bit older. My daughter got her first job when she was 15...working in the kitchen of a restaurant part time.
Your too young, breeding rabbits is lof work and you really need to know what you are doing.





There are too many rabbits, and too many breeders, dont need any more.





get a job!





breeding without knowledge is cruel.
start at 20..,.
  • wholesale cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment