Friday, January 22, 2010

How much should I feed my young flemish giant rabbit?

I have a young flemish giant rabbit. His name is Lennix and he is about 6 weeks old. I was wondering how much food I should feed him and how many times a day. I have oxbow pellets. I also feed him greens and hay regularly! (:How much should I feed my young flemish giant rabbit?
Young rabbits, those under 6 months of age should be freefed. Which means they should have all the feed they want. While they are still growing they need to have food all the time in front of them.


Flemish Giants need a 18% protein feed. Most Flemish breeders use a J- feeder which can be filled and the rabbits eats what it needs daily.


Once he reaches his senior age (around 8 months for a Flemish) he should be fed 1- 1/2 cups of feed daily.





He is too young to be fed greens of any sort. No fresh foods until he is 6 months old and then only as a treat occasionally. Too much fresh foods can lead to serious digestive problems, young rabbits do not have the proper flora in their gut to handle fresh foods.





Hay is good but his main diet should be the pelleted feed right now to make sure he grows properly.





Here is a link to the National Flemish Giant Rabbit Club-


http://www.nffgrb.com/How much should I feed my young flemish giant rabbit?
A good rule of thumb for any breed is to feed just what the rabbit will eat in 24 hours. The rabbit's bowl should be barely emptied at the end of 24 hours.





At 6 weeks old he is way too young to feed him greens. Greens are prone to giving rabbits diarrhea. Young rabbits are especially prone to diarrhea so you definitely want to avoid feeding greens to a young rabbit. Feeding your rabbit hay is totally fine though.





The pellet ration you are feeding should have at least 16% protein. Larger breeds normally require more protein when they are in their growing stage because they grow quicker and they need the protein to build muscle. So it probably wouldn't hurt however to feed a pellet ration with as much as 18% protein. However avoid feeding a pellet ration with too much energy as it will cause the rabbit to blow its fur and get fat.





Avoid rabbit feeds with a lot of corn in them. Corn is high in energy but low in protein.
Aww, I had this same rabbit when I was growing up, feed him about a cup and half of pellets a day, and keep hay in the cage, he can munch on that when he wants. Be careful with the greens, not too much, maybe a couple handfulls a week. Wouldn't want him to get whet tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment