Monday, January 18, 2010

Are rabbit pellets with Coccidiostats OK?

I've brought a brand of rabbit pellets for my bunny that contains a Coccidiostat (which obvious prevents coccidiosis) but it states not to let any other animal eat the pellets or if you are planning on eating the animal stop feeding these pellets to them 2 weeks before - not that I'm planning on eating my bunny but it doesnt sound very good does it?





Also if I'm going to give my bunny pellets and hay as a complete meal what are some ingredients I should make sure they have?





I am from NZ and never heard of Coccidiosis and cannot find any useful information on it, maybe it doesnt apply to NZ?Are rabbit pellets with Coccidiostats OK?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidiosis


Coccidiosis in rabbits usually affect young rabbits with mucoid enteritis where the lining of the bowel produces a jelly like substance. This lead to dehydration, weight loss and usually death. Coccidiostats help with preventing this and usually mean that a suphonomide drug has been added to the pellets.


It will not harm your rabbit but be very careful when changing a rabbits diet. If I am changing any rabbits diet I usually do it gradually by mixing the new food with the old a little bit more each day for about a week, until the food is changed completely.


A good mixture is equal parts of rolled oats, flaked peas, extruded wheat flakes, rabbit pellets and flaked maize.


Provide plenty of fresh dry hay and clean freshwater.


As a treat occasional carrots or swede is great.


If you can get fresh clover the rabbits love it but do not give too much as it is addictive to rabbits and too much can lead to the runs. (diarrhea)


I have bred rabbits for 30 years and now own a pet store and if I gave poor advice to my customers I would be out of business. Care sheets are free on my web site.


http://www.artsaquaticsandanimals.co.ukAre rabbit pellets with Coccidiostats OK?
Ask Bugs Bunny! What's Up Doc?
i dunno

No comments:

Post a Comment