Monday, January 18, 2010

Are you getting your child a real rabbit or chick for Easter?

Every year I see people doing this...a month later, every year, I hear about how much they regret it.Are you getting your child a real rabbit or chick for Easter?
The practice should be outlawed. Those fuzzy baby chicks will become chickens in a very short time. The rabbits will require a hutch or litter training in order to keep them and most people don't want that kind of commitment. It's a very inhumane choice to give children ';gifts'; like this.Are you getting your child a real rabbit or chick for Easter?
i hate when peopl edo this..its terrible...bunnies should not even be sold this month...the kids play with them for a week then the bunny is dumped
Tonight I go pick up a rabbit for my kids, and I just bought them 6 Ameraucanas two days ago along with a duckling. We currently have a goose that we have had for almost 3 years...she was bought at easter also. I think it depends on the family. No parent should buy an animal for a child that they are not willing to care for for the life of the animal. We (my boyfriend and I) plan to make sure that the animals are fed and watered. We do this with all of our animals. Children lose interest so quickly if it is not something that they really want. So I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on the family and the situation. I do not believe that you should get an animal to just dump it later. Where I live it just disgusts me because after easter there are several ducks dumped at the local park. I also just rescued 6 rats tha were set lose in a park...clearly pets as they were pink eyed whites and hairless, some even being dumbos. That is what is sad and a shame.
bad bad bad idea!





Unless your child is over about 14 then do not get him/her a rabbit - i dont know much about chickens but i do have 6 rabbits. Im 15, going on 16. I know how to look after them and im the one who feed them, cleans them and gives them attention and the exercise they neeed, which is just as mich as a small dog needs!


they are more responsability than they look!!


sure they look cute in the pet store but seriously...they are harder work than any other small animal i know!





If your wanting to get your child a pet i think guniea pigs are a nice idea. I have two of them. They are very calm animals and are good for younger children, but not too young! id say about 8years old.


Although you do have to watch out for the thing you feed them because its easy for them to get ill and being ill for a guinea pig is fatal.





i would deffo not get a rabbit or chicken though!!





hope that helps.
I don't even know why a rabbit is used as a symbol for Easter. I really get upset at this time of the year. I wish I could buy all the rabbits in the city to stop people buying them. I didn't believe people actually bought them for Easter until I went looking for a rabbit at Easter time. I had never seen so few in shops. (I wanted a rabbit because I love them, not for Easter.) It shocked me. Do parents believe the child is going to care about that rabbit in a few weeks? I am so wound up because there's nothing I can do, I can't stand in pet shops and yell at people not to buy rabbits. What's wrong with giving your child chocolate? Kids like chocolate. Or a TOY rabbit? A TOY chick? It amazes me. I would never buy a pet for a present. I think the selling of rabbits in pet shops should be banned around Easter time. I know some people are genuine and WILL look after the rabbit, but most are buying on a whim and it disgusts me. You would think parents would be more responsible. But, no...





http://www.makeminechocolate.org/
Exactly! And what are they teaching kids buy buying these things and then disposing of them? That animals are a commodity and you can just pick one up off the shelf and then throw it away when you don't want it anymore. I appreciate chicks being available in the spring since i occasionally need to add to my coop but having them out specifically for easter and advertising them as 'gifts' or 'presents' is disgusting.
Living in a rural area, we have feed stores that offer chicks and rabbits. But they refuse to sell or carry rabbits until after easter. As far as chicks, they have them available, but are only sold in lots of 6 or 12. By doing that, it weeds out the people who want them as pets, yet allowing people to get them for their farms. I have always thought it was disgusting to give them as gifts since they are animals, not toys. chicks do not do well if handled alot, and while I have ';pet'; chickens, they like to eat out of my hand, but never handled.
Keep them for a few months to fatten up.....reaches for the chopper.......puts on two pots for rabbit stew %26amp; pot roast chook....
  • spots
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment