Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How can I care for an injured baby rabbit?

I have in my home a small baby rabbit (fits in the palm of my hand) that has an injury to it's side. The hair, and a bit of flesh, are torn from the body.





I have wrapped the injury with gauze, and placed the rabbit in a cage with water and a bit of lettuce. How else can I care for it? What else can I do?





No vet here will touch it...How can I care for an injured baby rabbit?
Is this a wild rabbit? If it is a wild animal you need to call a local wildlife rehab. center. It is very unlikely that a wild rabbit will survive, as the stress of the situation will most likely kill it. If it does not die of stress, without antibiotics, the injury is most likely going to become infected and cause septic shock.





Call information and ask for the number of a wildlife center, or call a few vets and ask if they know the number.How can I care for an injured baby rabbit?
Do you have an spca around where you are? it sounds like for now you are doing a good job but it should really get some better more permanent help. My sisters friend works at the spca and they take in injured animals and help them get better and then either set them free or sell them, depending if they were previously owned.
Did you clean the injury? If not, do so (wear gloves), and clean it with soap and water, then reapply the gauze. Other than that it sounds like you're doing a good job.
Try bringing it to your local shelter... most of them take care of rabbits as well and will be able to properly take care of the wound.
Let in run around a bit and your doing a good job. As long as he eats and heals he'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment