Monday, January 18, 2010

What can I do about pain for a rabbit?

My friend has a rabbit and we believe that he has a broken foot. We cannot get him into the vet until the 9th and want to do something to help the pain, does anyone know anything that I can give him?What can I do about pain for a rabbit?
You need to change vets. It is unacceptable to wait until the 9th for a possible broken foot. By that time it may be too late to do anything for it or they may have to take extreme measures to fix it which could cost a lot and cause the rabbit more pain. You could check your area for an emergency vet or find a different vet to treat your rabbit ASAP. I don't know of an over the counter pain medication that you can give to a rabbit. But really, the 9th is too long to wait.What can I do about pain for a rabbit?
Theres not much you can give the rabbit for the pain. The important thing is that you immobilize the rabbit so that it does not move around on the broken leg. This will not only help the healing but should reduce the chances of increased pain by it moving around.





I would put the rabbit in as small a cage as possible. One where it barely fits in the cage. We had this happen and used a carrying cage. The rabbit successful healed. We have an article regarding this on our site that would probably be worth reading for you.





Sorry, about your rabbit, and I hope it heals well for you!
There's nothing I know of that can be safely given at home for pain in rabbits.





You NEED to get that rabbit to a vet now. By the time the 9th rolls around the bone will have started to heal in whatever position it's in, which could lead to a deformity, discomfort even once it's healed, and trouble walking. The vet may have to RE BREAK THE BONE to set it properly.





Until you get to the vet, keep the rabbit still. A small carrier stuffed with hay and cleaned out several times a day should do nicely. The idea is to minimize further damage to the foot.
(asprin...)
cook him, they taste great, and the fur makes a great hat
Consult the vet...you can't get the poor thing there sooner???????? I have broken bones in the past and can't even imagine the pain the poor thing must be going through.
Pray for God to heal it, and believe it will happen in your heart.
I just took a rabbit to the vet for ';Mastitis';.... my vet told me to give her asprin. Give it a quarter of an asprin (I used baby asprin because it doesn't taste as bad %26amp; its not as high of a dose) If you have trouble, crush it in a spoon, and mix with a little banana baby food or something else soft. If he doesn't take it by himself, put it on your finger and wipe it on his teeth. If you have trouble holding the rabbit still place him on his back (on your lap with his feet toward your stomach) and put his ears between your knees %26amp; hold them. This is how i clip my rabbits toenails. It helps to calm them down. Hope this helps.
make a rabbit BBQ
I know it's safe to give dogs an aspirin, so it's possible that aspirin will work for rabbits too. Did you ask your vet when you called him?

No comments:

Post a Comment