Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is my rabbit trying to tell me something by peeing on my sofa?

I have a neutered 3 year old male rabbit who is for the most part litterbox trained. I have had him since September of last year. In the past 2 weeks he has peed on my my sofa 3 times. I don't know what is the matter with him. He has free roam to go back to his litterbox but instead he jumps on my sofa while I'm sitting watching TV and he just pees. I instantly pick him up and put him his in litterbox but he is obviously not getting the picture. What should I do?Is my rabbit trying to tell me something by peeing on my sofa?
I guess that it could be one of 3 things:





1) He's marking his territory (although with him being neutered, I think that's highly unlikely).





2) Loss of bladder control could mean he's sick. If you think he may be ill, you should take him to the vet.





3) He may have too much freedom and not enough litterboxes. Meaning: you may need to downsize his roaming area until you're sure he's able to get to the litterbox adequately and then gradually increase his freedom, as long as he makes it to the litterbox OK. This is a great website about litterbox training:


http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego鈥?/a>





Those are my best guesses... I would try to ';re-train'; your bunny first (provided you don't think it's a health issue). If nothing else works, as long as it doesn't infringe on your relationship with your bunny, maybe the sofa should be off limits for him. Maybe he sees your sofa as another litterbox? The only way I know how to deodorize anything from a bunny's scent is to use vinegar.





Good luck!Is my rabbit trying to tell me something by peeing on my sofa?
my cat has started this too, i am also curious.
My bunny is litterbox trained.. but whenever my sister brings her bunny over, he pees on the sofa where the other bunny sat.





I think it's just a territorial thing.... (and my bunny has been neutered for quite some time now.)





I just can't allow him on the sofa anymore.
When an animal that is trained starts to urinate elsewhere there is a possibility of a UTI, or urinary tract infection. Due to the fact that they are uncomfortable they can not hold their bladder's in and will use the bathroom in unusual places.

No comments:

Post a Comment