Saturday, January 16, 2010

My rabbit is showing some and not some signs being pregnant?

my male rabbit quickly got in with my female rabbit and i am not sure if she is pregnant-i have reaserch and she shows one sign-i think she is got a bit round but not fat and not bult a nest yet but i read if your rabbit is young which she is(under 1 year old) they might have a still born or less than 4 babies-if she is pregnant that means she is due to give birth in 4 to 6 days-any more tips to know if she is-i have also tryed feeling her belly.My rabbit is showing some and not some signs being pregnant?
If she is due in 4-6 days you should give her a nest box with hay in it. She will need something to kindle in.


Most of the time female rabbits do not look pregnant. That is


because the babbies are so small and underdeveloped when they are born.


Most rabbits give birth 30-35 days after they are bred.


Keep an eye on her. keep the male away from her.


Sometimes first time litters do not live. The doe just doesn't know what to do.


Most rabbits are bred for the first time when they are between 6-8 months old.


Good LuckMy rabbit is showing some and not some signs being pregnant?
Rabbits have babies in about 30 days, and they dont start making the nest later in the pregnancy. But, rabbits often go through fake pregnancys. They get bigger, and even make a nest, but they are not actually pregnant. If a male got in with her, then she is probably pregnant. Your best bet is just to wait and see. If she does have babies, make sure that she is feeding all of them, and make sure she is not aggressive to any of the babies. Good luck.
It can be very difficult to tell if your doe is pregnant but here is what I suggest.





Palpate your doe on the 14th day after she was bred. That is basically externally feeling for developing babies in her uterine horns (or feeling her belly). The babies feel like squishy grapes (don't squeeze them!). Google ';palpating rabbits'; for detailed instructions. There is only a VERY short window of opportunity to palpate successfully because the feel of the developing babies change so fast that they are almost impossible to detect before and after the 14th day. It takes practice.





BTW, I can't palpate worth beans so I use other signs to determine whether my doe is pregnant.





If I WANT to breed my rabbits, I breed them twice to increase the chances of it taking. Once and then once more about 8 - 12 hours later. Then I can be pretty sure she will be pregnant but not positive.





As I said earlier, I don't palpate worth beans so I just give her a nest box on the 27th day and wait to see what happens. However, I have noticed that if my doe IS pregnant, in the 3rd week, her coat will look really great. I have long haired rabbits and even if their coat was a little molty at breeding it usually grows fast and looks well smooth and shiny by the third week. It's the pregnancy hormones, I guess. So I know just by looking at them.





Also, a day or two before she is due, I hold my doe in my lap with my hand under her belly. If I sit quietly for a while and she can relax, I will feel a little movement or squirming or a push on her belly. Perhaps you could give her a tiny bit of cold apple juice to drink if you don't feel anything after 10 minutes or so. That should wake up any sleeping babies and get them moving. Moving babies is the positive way to know there are babies coming, but movement or not, I'll put her back and leave her alone. I check her box every morning and afternoon for babies or pulled out fur. BTW, some mom's pull out fur AFTER the babies are born, some way before. All mom's are different.





I would just expect that your girl IS pregnant and act accordingly. Better to be prepared than sorry.





Give her a nest box on the 27th day with some nice hay in it that she can make an indentation in or a burrow. I prefer a wood or metal box but cardboard will do fine if you don't have the others. Make sure it has four sides and mom can get in and out easily. It could have a partial top, too. The box should be about 3-4 inches longer and 3-4 inches wider than your girl.
  • spots
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment