Monday, January 18, 2010

What is it like taking care of a rabbit?

I am considering adopting a pair of rabbits - a male and female, both neutered and spayed. I have never owned a rabbit before, but I'm taking a leap of faith here. I've learned all about rabbits and feel confident about adopting these two. But what is it like taking care of a rabbit? On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the hardest, how hard is it to meet their needs on a daily basis? What else can you tell me about rabbits or pairs or anything?What is it like taking care of a rabbit?
It's a lot of fun! I wouldn't say it's hard at all, but you do need to give them attention every day. I exercise mine every day, change their water, clean up their poop, and feed them. I'd say it's a 2 on the scale of hardness.





Totally worth it though.What is it like taking care of a rabbit?
Rabbits are adorable, sweet,etc. but they are incredibly messy and I would never have one again. Actually, we had 2 females and my kids were supposed to take care of them, but naturally the job fell to me, good old Mom. You have to take care of their nails and teeth so they don't grow too long, every time they pee or poop the bedding flies everywhere, and they're just a royal pain.
4- my answer might be in-accurate, because the rabbit i took care of was a half dead wild baby bunny. i managed to nurse it back to health, and then let it go back to the wild (i live in the country). i thought that it was a LOT of fun! i think you'll have a good time, but it is a responsibility!!!
you will have the best time of you life I have 5 and they are the best thing that have happen to me okay
It depends on what breed they are, how big, etc.


I ended up with 4 rabbits at once,2 dwarf lops which were ours to begin with, and then got given 2 giant rabbits cause the old owners couldn't cope, and the 2 giant ones took up so much of our time on their own.





It is easy to look after them so long as you have the time and space. If they have a lot of space to live in and fresh food and water on a regular basis, and are out of the sun, and you have enough time to brush them, play with them, get them vaccinated against myximatosis (a lethal thing that rabbits can catch), leave them with toys and things to keep their teeth and claws down and to keep them amused while you're not there, then it's easy.





But it mostly depends on what size and breed they are, cause as I said before, some are easier to look after than others.





Good luck with your rabbits, they are generally a joyful animal to own and are very affectionate if looked after properly :)
I had a pair of rabbits. They were neither spayed or neutered. So you're saved. Rabbits get weird. I mean if you touch their new born, they will kill it. Seriously. So if that would ever happen to you, don't touch the baby until it has sufficient hair on it. Anyway, yeah It can be tough taking care of rabbits. If you are responsible and dedicated, then it will be, like anything a breeze. You don't have to walk them , they are not dogs. You don't have to bathe them either. If you are planning to keep them in cages, I suggest not to. But it is your call. I kept mine in my back yard with a fence all around. That way, they would still be with me, but just not in a tiny space. If you are keeping them in a tiny space, then yeah, you do need to bathe and walk them. I think that keeping them in a tiny space will only make the maintenance more difficult. Only because now, you'd have to walk and bathe them. You can just have a small little hut for them to go to with warm blankets for when it rains. Just ask the local vet what anti flea and tick medication would be better for your bunnies. I would rate it a 3 (because of my experience). If you decide not to keep them in the back yard, it may make things a bit more difficult for you.............oh yeah, and you have to play with them a lot, or else they get stupid.
5 Just make sure you will have the money, time and space to separate them if the two have not always been together-the buddy system doesn't always work. Also, with all the pets I have had, my female rabbit has been the most work because she will forever be syringe fed..She stopped eating on her own when we lost our family dog, several thousand dollars and the vet could do nothing to help her. It was my constant hours of research and rushing home every 3 hours to syringe feed her and keep hot bottles 24/7 for her to keep her body from shutting down. She eats on her own some, but not enough to allow me to stop syringe feeding her. She is much healthier than she was under the vets care. Rabbits are ONLY great pets-If you are a GREAT owner!!!!!!!!! They also need out of cage time for play-even if it's in a playpen in the yard...Do your research and make sure they have unlimited hay and pellets and fresh veggies and fruits as treats everyday. Store treats are usually not good for rabbits. If you want to keep the smell down-Use corn cob bedding-walmart sells it and layer the top with a soft bedding like care fresh or even hay. They will use a litter box-bottom layer corn cob-top soft..for their comfort. Never bath your bunny..I've seen them go into shock and die. Some people claim they can bath their rabbit-I'm telling you, it's NOT safe and they are risking their pet's life!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment